Right thinking determines our future…it’s easy to get off-track. Good thoughts come and go and so do bad thoughts. Proverbs 23:7 says, “As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.” Heart refers to “affections, those things we love, hold dear, and think about.” What’s always on your mind? The one thing we can change, is our THINKING! Do it today! One of the best ways is to READ and GET BUSY! It will do it every time!
Archive for August, 2009
Tags: rick warren
- Avg. church= Only 10% of members serve in ministry. 50% won’t, but 40% say “I’ve never been asked or don’t know how.” Go after them- ORIGIN, LET’S CHANGE THIS!
- When “the brook dries up” (1Kings17:2-9) it’s not REJECTION by God but DIRECTION FROM God. He wants 2 move u 2 a new place!
- God often closes a door B4 opening a new 1. Between those doors-dont worry! Wait,Worship & Watch! It’s a test of faith. Col. 4:3
- Pastor, stop wishing u were in Atlanta, NYC, Chicago or SoCal & Pour ur love into the dear people he’s called u to serve! Ph. 4:10
- 30 yrs ago Adrian Rogers told me “Rick, the pastor who is available ALL the time won’t be worth much when he’s available.”
- God doesn’t bless most those who deserve it most. He blesses most those who TRUST him most. Heb. 11:6 It’s “by Grace thru Faith”
- Sovereign Factors= God’s choices 4 u: parents,when & where born, talents, race, etc. But YOU CHOSE how much He blesses u. See Mt. 9:29
- Everytime u hold ur tongue when attacked or misrepresented your spiritual power grows. Humility gives u authority. Mt.27:12
- If God asks u to give something away & u can’t, u don’t really own it; IT OWNS U. Never let a possession possess u. Lk 12:15
- A TRUE man of God is known by HOW HE TREATS those who DISAGREE w him. He refuses to quarrel & is kind to EVERYONE. 2 Tim. 2:24
- To avoid burnout: Divert Daily (whatever relaxes) Withdraw Weekly (a sabbath) Abandon Annually (disconnect completely) Ps.127:2
- Jesus isn’t impressed by how u LOVE TO PREACH. He wants you to LOVE THE PEOPLE u preach to today. 1 Cor.13:1-2
- CH Plants-When small,they dismiss u. When ugrow,they discredit u. When larger,they dislike u. When big,they defame. LOVE them! Rom 12:21
- The greatest churches are yet to BE! Built on God’s purposes by guys who learn from mentors. I intend to help them succeed.
- Every pastor has to decide what he wants most: Control or Growth. U can’t have both.The bottleneck is always at the top.
- You’ll never be fully satisfied on earth because u were made for FAR MORE. At death u won’t leave home-u’ll go home. 2 Cor. 5:1
- Never confuse your value with ur valuables, nor ur networth for ur self-worth.The greatest things in life aren’t things.
- Every style goes out of style.The only way to always be relevant is to focus on what’s eternal-God’s purposes. Ps. 33:101
- Jesus measures greatness by service,not status. The size of the task is irrelevant. It’s how much love you put into it.
- Life is a struggle because we struggle with God. We want to be God & there’s no way we’ll win that one. Surrender is peace.
- No matter who or how old you are, you’ll always need chldren in your life. They are God’s tools for teaching unselfishness.
- NEVER COMPARE yourself! Other’s success will discourage you OR yours will make you prideful. Both are deadly. Gal.6:4
- If unbelievers like what they see, they’ll listen to what we say.
- Read your way out of every rut. Pray your way out of every doubt. Act your way out of every fear.When going thru hell, KEEP GOING! Love U guys!
- Don’t claim you believe the Bible if you’re doing nothing for widows & orphans. James 1:27.
- Weddings make us smile but funerals make us think..Death forces us to consider the meaning of life. Eccl. 7:2 . Never waste a funeral.
Tags: homeless, origin church, serving
Don’t forget tomorrow at 8:00 a.m., Miller Park, downtown Chattanooga, we serve breakfast to the homeless. Take the MLK exit off of Hwy. 27. Go right a couple of blocks. Miller Park is on your right. Bring a couple of gallons of orange juice. It’ll be rewarding!
Very few people have a lot of friends. We all have a number of acquaintances but very few real friends. Many like to say and have others think they have tons of friends. They really don’t. It’s an interesting phenomenon throughout life because interestingly enough, friends come and go. It’s not a bad thing as they will always hold a place of memory in your life, but for whatever reason, they turn into a season of your life. God could have had them there for encouragement, to get you through something, or to add value to your life for a period of time. You can literally watch a friendship drift into hiding, but all is not lost. People need different people around them to grow to reach God’s potential for different times in their lives. You played a part in that. They played a part in your growth. There are very few forever friends.
Some friendships last a lifetime. There is an actual chemistry that developed from the beginning that causes both parties to reach out constantly and consistently to each other thereby nurturing the friendship daily, weekly, or even monthly. It is a relationship that lasts forever, even getting stronger. These are cool to watch. Friendships can even re-develop after time has gone by. For example the social networks have helped this happen. Here’s the bottom line: As people get older, they realize the value of connection instead of isolation. People let go of the past instead of trying to settle a score of bitterness or being upset with someone. This is an intentional and volitional choice that is made. There is a period of time in our lives that we pull away from familiarity because we feel we must stand on our own and prove ourselves, whatever that means. As we age, we make the turn back toward realizing that our “success” is not nearly as important as we thought and those relationships that were priceless early on, are really important to us re-connecting with a period of time that meant a great deal to us.
I think it has to do with us rushing toward eternity more and more each day. Without people on this earth, there would be no money, no fun, no happiness, no joy, and no “forever.” Had Jesus not put Adam and Eve here, the only thing the earth had going for it was beauty. Beauty without relationship is a postcard. Since God let Jesus come here, HE set the tone for what this life was all about. Walk slowly through the crowd, experience and enjoy others, and realize once again, the only thing that can bring you joy- relationships!
HERE is why!
Looking forward to “live” radio with a great friend, Ted Gocke, from J103, Chattanooga, from 6:00 a.m. – 7:00 a.m. Tuesday morning. We will be “live” receiving phone calls from any of you out there that would like prayer, especially those looking for jobs in this high percentage of unemployment. My prayer is that we can minister to you in some way, thereby adding value to you life with a little bit of hope for a few minutes.
Tags: Church Planting, GHC
Jeff and I are just returning from a monthly cluster of church planters who are all associated with GHC, San Francisco, CA. What a real and authentic organization! Planters, they are first class! They care about you, the planter. Here’s an idea of how they work:
1. Monthly clusters all over the country
2. They cover your expenses to come to California
3. Normally, we meet in one of the NFL stadiums or MLB stadiums; we fellowship, eat, hear each others’ stories, and encourage. Then, we all go to the game together…all, compliments of GHC. They even provide spending money for you!
Personally, I’ve not evern been a part of an organization like this! Not sure what others do, but I remember that Kim and I were completely and totally impressed the first day we were with them in assessment over a year ago. THEY TRULY CARED ABOUT US! We had a great couple days at the Oakland/Alameda Coliseum in California…..we all need each other! Thank God for GHC!
If you are thinking about planting a church, you need to look very seriously at partnering with GHC! JD, love you man! You’re the best!
Tags: allen shamblin, kathie lee gifford, rob mathes, today show
The Shamblin’s have to be some of the dearest, most sincere, and most real people we’ve ever known. Allen Shamblin and Rob Mathes penned this song some years ago and recently, Rob sang it on the Today Show with Kathie Lee Gifford. Awesome tune right here!